- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Celebrity Apprentice
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- The Glee Project
- Ru Paul’s Drag Race
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- Adam Lambert
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 12 Recaps
According to an Associated Press report, the runner-up contract for season 11 makes a provision for a singles only situation for the first time in American Idol’s history.
Wednesday night’s runner-up, 16-year-old Jessica Sanchez, doesn’t have a definite shot at producing an album and could be paid as little as $30,000 in advances for recording singles, according to the “Idol” contract she and other Season 11 contestants signed earlier this year.
The agreement appears to be the first time in “Idol’s” history that producers are not offering the show’s runner-up an album deal that in previous years came with a guaranteed advance of at least $175,000, an Associated Press review of the Fox show’s contracts reveals.
If Jessica is given an album deal (and I totally think she will) she will receive the same $175,000 bonus that Lauren Alaina was paid last year. But 19R has replaced a guaranteed album deal for the runner-up with a staggered “Development Period” that requires less music and pays out less in advances.
Jessica could be paid as little as $30,000 if she is asked to perform four single songs, or $60,000 if she records an “EP” of between four and 10 songs.
I didn’t realize the runner-up was offered a guaranteed recording contract, even though every 2nd place Idol has been awarded a contract and released an album. However, alternatives to an album deal have never been specifically laid out like they appear to be in this new contract.
Again, I don’t think Jessica will be relegated to releasing a couple of singles for UMG and 19R. She’s going to make an album, or I’ll eat my hat. So, don’t fret Jessica fans!
Jessica’s contract came to light due to her minor status. California law requires that minor contracts be made available to the courts for review in order to setup a trust fund that will be available to the minor when they turn 18. Last year, due to Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina’s minor status, we got a glimpse at the winner and runner-ups contracts.
ETA: Phillip will get the same deal that Scotty McCreery got last year. Contract details for the rest of the finalists are also revealed.
“Idol” winner Phillip Phillips will receive the same $300,000 advance given to last year’s winner, Scotty McCreery, upon completion of his first album, according to the contracts. Finalists who placed third and lower could receive deals to record singles, EPs or full albums, with the lowest advance amounting to $24,000 if they complete their commitment to record up to four single songs.
Higher advances are paid if 19 Recordings agrees to produce more albums, with Phillips eligible to receive up to $800,000 for a six-album deal.
Tagged with: Jessica Sanchez
- Powered by Disqus
- Kacey Musgraves – Merry Go Round – Billboard Music Awards (VIDEO)
- Miguel Injures Fan as he Misses a Jump at the Billboard Music Awards (VIDEO)
- Justin Bieber Booed? – Billboard Music Awards – (VIDEO)
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 – Performances (VIDEO)
- All-Star Celebrity Apprentice – Finale – Recap and Results
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 – Winners List and Live Blog
- Billboard Music Awards Blue Carpet Live Stream
- Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio To Join X Factor (REPORT)
- Dancing With The Stars Finale Preview: Jessica Sanchez Performs
- Canadian Singer Botches the National Anthem (VIDEO)
- X Factor UK Headlines for 05/19/13
- Adam Lambert – Mad World – Chinese Idol (VIDEO)
- Idol Headlines for 5/19/13
- Saturday Night 2013 Season Finale – Kanye West – VIDEO (UPDATED)
- Eurovision 2013: Grand Final
- Danny Gokey Announces Deal with BMG Records
- Idol Headlines for 5/18/2013
- Simon Cowell Twitter Riot: Will Announce X Factor Panel on Monday (Plus Other Random Topics)
- Eurovision 2013 – Ozzyd’s Power List
- Candice Glover Speaks to the Press (VIDEOS)
- Candice Glover – I Am Beautiful – The Tonight Show (Video)
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing X Factor Deal (Report)
- Kree Harrison Speaks With Reporters (VIDEOS)
- NBC Announces All Six Coaches Will Return To The Voice
- Idol Headlines for 5/17/13