- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Big Brother
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- Project Runway
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- X Factor Australia
- Adam Lambert
- Angie Miller
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Candice Glover
- Carly Rose Sonenclar
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Cassadee Pope
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danielle Bradbery
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Fifth Harmony
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kree Harrison
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 13 Recaps
According to an Associated Press report, the runner-up contract for season 11 makes a provision for a singles only situation for the first time in American Idol’s history.
Wednesday night’s runner-up, 16-year-old Jessica Sanchez, doesn’t have a definite shot at producing an album and could be paid as little as $30,000 in advances for recording singles, according to the “Idol” contract she and other Season 11 contestants signed earlier this year.
The agreement appears to be the first time in “Idol’s” history that producers are not offering the show’s runner-up an album deal that in previous years came with a guaranteed advance of at least $175,000, an Associated Press review of the Fox show’s contracts reveals.
If Jessica is given an album deal (and I totally think she will) she will receive the same $175,000 bonus that Lauren Alaina was paid last year. But 19R has replaced a guaranteed album deal for the runner-up with a staggered “Development Period” that requires less music and pays out less in advances.
Jessica could be paid as little as $30,000 if she is asked to perform four single songs, or $60,000 if she records an “EP” of between four and 10 songs.
I didn’t realize the runner-up was offered a guaranteed recording contract, even though every 2nd place Idol has been awarded a contract and released an album. However, alternatives to an album deal have never been specifically laid out like they appear to be in this new contract.
Again, I don’t think Jessica will be relegated to releasing a couple of singles for UMG and 19R. She’s going to make an album, or I’ll eat my hat. So, don’t fret Jessica fans!
Jessica’s contract came to light due to her minor status. California law requires that minor contracts be made available to the courts for review in order to setup a trust fund that will be available to the minor when they turn 18. Last year, due to Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina’s minor status, we got a glimpse at the winner and runner-ups contracts.
ETA: Phillip will get the same deal that Scotty McCreery got last year. Contract details for the rest of the finalists are also revealed.
“Idol” winner Phillip Phillips will receive the same $300,000 advance given to last year’s winner, Scotty McCreery, upon completion of his first album, according to the contracts. Finalists who placed third and lower could receive deals to record singles, EPs or full albums, with the lowest advance amounting to $24,000 if they complete their commitment to record up to four single songs.
Higher advances are paid if 19 Recordings agrees to produce more albums, with Phillips eligible to receive up to $800,000 for a six-album deal.
Tagged with: Jessica Sanchez
- Powered by Disqus
- The Bachelorette – Season 10, Finale – Live Blog & Discussion
- Big Brother 16 Live Feeds Spoilers (Week 5 Veto Ceremony)
- Carrie Underwood New Sunday Night Football Intro BTS (VIDEO)
- Caleb Johnson Drops New Single “Only One” – AUDIO
- Glee Star Lea Michele Set to Guest Star on Sons of Anarchy
- Tessanne Chin on Debut Album: “We Couldn’t Help That It Was a Quiet Release”
- Rising Star Ratings Hit a New Low
- Idol Headlines for 7/28/14
- Monday Morning Mediabase Update: Jul 21-27
- Concert Schedule – 7/28/14 – Adam Lambert, American Idol Live
- Rising Star – The Duels Part 3 – Live Blog and Videos (UPDATED)
- Big Brother 16 Episode 15 – Recap and Discussion
- X Factor UK Headlines for 07/27/14
- Concert Schedule – 7/27/14 – Cassadee Pope, Scotty McCreery, Fifth Harmony
- Idol Headlines for 7/27/14
- David Archuleta Sings “Crush” with David Cook TOGETHER AGAIN! (VIDEO)
- Queen + Adam Lambert Take over the Boston Garden (Recap and Videos)
- Big Brother 16 Live Feeds Spoilers (Week 5 Power of Veto Results)
- Idol Headlines for 7/26/14
- David Archuleta Wraps up His Middle East Military Tour
- Concert Schedule – 7/26/14 – Casey James, David Cook
- YouTube Top 10 Most Played Music Videos of 2014
- Big Brother 16 – Derrick Levasseur’s Grandfather Has Died
- Big Brother 16 Live Feeds Spoilers (Week 5 Nominees and Battle of the Block Results)
- Nicki Minaj Reacts to “Anaconda” Cover Art Backlash (PHOTO)