- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Big Brother
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- Project Runway
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- X Factor Australia
- Adam Lambert
- Angie Miller
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Candice Glover
- Carly Rose Sonenclar
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Cassadee Pope
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danielle Bradbery
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Fifth Harmony
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kree Harrison
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 13 Recaps
According to an Associated Press report, the runner-up contract for season 11 makes a provision for a singles only situation for the first time in American Idol’s history.
Wednesday night’s runner-up, 16-year-old Jessica Sanchez, doesn’t have a definite shot at producing an album and could be paid as little as $30,000 in advances for recording singles, according to the “Idol” contract she and other Season 11 contestants signed earlier this year.
The agreement appears to be the first time in “Idol’s” history that producers are not offering the show’s runner-up an album deal that in previous years came with a guaranteed advance of at least $175,000, an Associated Press review of the Fox show’s contracts reveals.
If Jessica is given an album deal (and I totally think she will) she will receive the same $175,000 bonus that Lauren Alaina was paid last year. But 19R has replaced a guaranteed album deal for the runner-up with a staggered “Development Period” that requires less music and pays out less in advances.
Jessica could be paid as little as $30,000 if she is asked to perform four single songs, or $60,000 if she records an “EP” of between four and 10 songs.
I didn’t realize the runner-up was offered a guaranteed recording contract, even though every 2nd place Idol has been awarded a contract and released an album. However, alternatives to an album deal have never been specifically laid out like they appear to be in this new contract.
Again, I don’t think Jessica will be relegated to releasing a couple of singles for UMG and 19R. She’s going to make an album, or I’ll eat my hat. So, don’t fret Jessica fans!
Jessica’s contract came to light due to her minor status. California law requires that minor contracts be made available to the courts for review in order to setup a trust fund that will be available to the minor when they turn 18. Last year, due to Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina’s minor status, we got a glimpse at the winner and runner-ups contracts.
ETA: Phillip will get the same deal that Scotty McCreery got last year. Contract details for the rest of the finalists are also revealed.
“Idol” winner Phillip Phillips will receive the same $300,000 advance given to last year’s winner, Scotty McCreery, upon completion of his first album, according to the contracts. Finalists who placed third and lower could receive deals to record singles, EPs or full albums, with the lowest advance amounting to $24,000 if they complete their commitment to record up to four single songs.
Higher advances are paid if 19 Recordings agrees to produce more albums, with Phillips eligible to receive up to $800,000 for a six-album deal.
Tagged with: Jessica Sanchez
- Powered by Disqus
- Taylor Swift Joins The Voice 7 as Team Adviser
- X Factor UK S11E01 – Room Auditions
- Alex & Sierra New Acoustic “Bumper Cars” – VIDEO
- Idol Headlines for 8/30/14
- Glee Season 6 Spoilers: Premiere Title and FULL Song List!
- Concert Schedule – 8/30/14 – Jena Irene, One Direction
- Big Brother 16 Live Feeds Spoilers (Week 10 HoH and Nominees)
- American Idol 14: Harry Connick Jr. Jams with NOLA Hopeful (VIDEO)
- FIRST LISTEN: Trisha Yearwood’s New Single “PrizeFighter” Featuring Kelly Clarkson!
- Angie Miller Crowdfunded Debut EP Due in November
- Idol Headlines for 8/29/14
- Billboard – Chart Date 08/30/2014
- Concert Schedule – 8/29/14 – Tessanne Chin, Adam Lambert
- Big Brother 16 – Week 9 – Live Blog Eviction Results (VIDEOS)
- New FOX Reality Chief Shares Thoughts on American Idol
- Nigel Lythgoe Calls Suicide “Stupid”, Responds to Angry Fans
- Josh Gracin Back to Work Posts Revealing Songs to Facebook
- Duck Dynasty Star Sadie Robertson, Others Join DWTS 19 Cast
- AGT Ratings Hit New Series Low, SYTYCD Rises, Big Brother Wins the Night
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are Married
- Idol Headlines for 8/28/14
- Amazing Race 25 Official Cast List and Photos
- Idols In Concert – Stats – 08/28/14
- Concert Schedule – 8/28/14 – Phillip Phillips, Alex & Sierra
- America’s Got Talent 9 – Semifinal 1 – Results Liveblog and Discussion