- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Celebrity Apprentice
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- The Glee Project
- Ru Paul’s Drag Race
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- Adam Lambert
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 12 Recaps
In a press conference yesterday for Bench Clothing, new spokesperson Jessica Sanchez, defended her Filipino heritage. The American Idol season 11 runner-up may be feeling a little defensive after Charice’s manager questioned her cultural bonafides, noting that Jessica was born and raised in the US.
Jessica reveals that she’s been exposed to Filipino culture via her mom and grandmother, who are natives. Not only that, mom insists, in an interview with the Filipino press, that Jessica’s Filipino relatives were more influential than her Dad’s Mexican heritage.
Here are some quotes from the press conference:
“I’m glad I can put us Filipinos on the map. In the States, I’m really pushing to put my music on the radio so Filipinos aren’t just, like they won’t look at us as a complete minority, that we can’t make it on the radio stuff. So I’m pushing for us to represent ourselves in the States,” she said.
While she was born and raised in the U.S., Sanchez said she grew up knowing things about Filipino culture because of her mom and grandmother.
“I feel like I always have a big part of me Filipino-wise because my grandma taught me a lot of stuff from the Philippines. But actually being here, it’s helping me learn a lot more. I see myself as an artist that is learning more about the culture at the moment,” she said.
And even though she loves living in the U.S., Sanchez said she really can’t resist the “connection” that she has with Philippines.
For one, Sanchez noted how much she loves Filipino food.
“Here, it’s just a different feel. The food is different. I can’t eat hamburgers everyday. But I can eat lumpia and pansit every single day of my life, also rice and sinigang. I love Filipino food,” she said.
Also, she notes that her Filipino fans are more enthusiastic than those from the US.
Sanchez also noted the difference between her fans in the US and in the Philippines.
“All the fans here are like crazy-supportive. Everybody back in States is supportive but everybody here is like major-supportive. They have your back here, I love it,” she said.
Well, there’s a statement that could be taken personally by some folks…
Tagged with: Jessica Sanchez
- Powered by Disqus
- Eurovision 2013 – Ozzyd’s Power List
- Candice Glover Speaks to the Press (VIDEOS)
- Candice Glover – I Am Beautiful – The Tonight Show (Video)
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing X Factor Deal (Report)
- Kree Harrison Speaks With Reporters (VIDEOS)
- NBC Announces All Six Coaches Will Return To The Voice
- Idol Headlines for 5/17/13
- Thursday Ratings: American Idol Finale Down 44% Compared to Last Year
- American Idol Runner Up Kree Harrison to Make Her Opry Debut June 4
- Billboard – Chart Date 05/25/13
- Candice Glover, Jennifer Hudson American Idol Duet Angers Natalie Cole
- American Idol 13 Spoiler: The Top 20 Can Audition Again
- Kris Allen To Undergo Surgery on Monday
- Candice Glover Wins American Idol 12 – Red Carpet, Finale PHOTOS
- Candice Glover Debut Album “Music Speaks” to be Released July 16
- Angie Miller – You Set Me Free Single – First Listen!
- Kree Harrison – All Cried Out – Audio – First Listen
- Candice Glover – I Am Beautiful – Winners Single – First Listen!
- American Idol 12 The Finale – Recap, Results VIDEO
- Watch the American Idol Live Finale Pre-Show Right Here at 6:30 (UPDATED)
- Idol Headlines for 5/15/13 – The Evening Edition
- All Six Judges Will Return to The Voice…Eventually
- American Idol 12 Final 2 – Poll Results and Predictions
- Eurovision 2013: Semifinal 2
- American Idol 12 – The Final 2 Performances – What the Critics Say