ETA: Kirsten just posted this blog from Access Hollywood in comments. It contains a very detailed account of tonight’s show. A couple of interesting tidbits not mentioned anywhere yet:
- News Corp which owns the Fox Network will donate 10 cents per call up to 50 million votes tonight for a total of $5 million.
- Carrie Underwood will perform “I’ll Stand By You” from Africa on tomorrow night’s special. A group of celebrities will sing “Stayin Alive” including Teri Hatcher, Gwyneth Paltrow and Hugh Grant.
Tonight’s performance show was taped yesterday, and there are accounts from Fans of Reality TV from the dress rehearsal and Idol Forums (check out the spoiler section, but you need to sign up first) from the show taping.
Spoilers mention that Ryan said that Bono mentored the kids this week, but there were no clips during the show. We’ll probably see that stuff during the special on Wednesday. The show does feature clips from Africa and America interspersed with the kid’s performances.
Here are the song choices and performance order:
- Chris Richardson “If I Could Change The World” by Eric Clapton – He wore a tie and jacket.
- Melinda Doolittle “There Will Come A Day” by Faith Hill – She wore a gray dress.
- Blake Lewis “Imagine” by John Lennon – He wore a purple shirt and jacket.
- LaKisha Jones “I Believe” Season 3 coronation song – She wore a black strapless dress.
- Phil Stacey “The Change” by Garth Brooks – He wore a blue shirt and jacket.
- Jordin Sparks “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from the musical “Carousel” – She wore a beige dress.
Judges comments, from an Idol Forums poster who attended the taping: thanks to milajoy for posting these in comments
Chris – All three judges liked his performance. Randy said Chris started off the show great. Paula thought it was one of his best. Simon said it wasn’t nasally, it was a great song choice and he’s finally living up to the potential they saw in his first audition.
Melinda – All the judges loved her. Randy said Melinda showed everyone how it’s done. Simon said she made it completely her own–a masterclass performance.
Blake – Randy thought it was a little boring–blah blah cakes about being compared to the original. Paula felt his performance was quiet, sincere. Simon liked the vocal and thought it was more about the sincerity than the vocal.
Lakisha – The judges “slammed” her. Simon thinks she shout-sings. The judges preferred Fantasia’s version from Season 3. (two separate accounts say that the audience loved her and that she sounded great).
Phil – Randy and Paula thought he was great. Simon liked it but told him to continue going for the country-style songs
Jordin – Randy told her tonite it was the best vocal by any Idol on any season. Simon joked that “unlike Randy. I liked you tonight Jordin.” Paula liked her too.
There are two phone numbers for each contestant:
- 1 and 7 – Chris Richardson
- 2 and 8 – Melinda Doolittle
- 3 and 9 – Blake Lewis
- 4 and 10 – LaKisha Jones
- 5 and 11 – Phil Stacey
- 6 and 12 – Jordin Sparks
The phone lines will be opened for 4 hours tonight instead of 2.