The post they linked to, my write-up on David Archuleta’s first week numbers for his debut album, would not have caught their attention, but for the cool charts I was able to incorporate into my report, compiled by our awesome numbers queen, Kirsten.
She presides over the very popular weekly mediabase and sales news posts, and hangs out in the comments threads, answering posters’ questions. She’s the expert on all things charts and numbers, and I’m wicked lucky to have her lending a hand here.
This week’s Idol Billboard chart–Some highlights:
- The big news, of course, was David Archuleta’s debut album, David Archuleta entering the Billboard 200 at #2. It entered the Top Digital Albums chart at #2 and the Top Internet Albums at #3 The album sold 183K copies. A most excellent start for young David.
- And of course, the single “Crush” keeps chugging along, with a 24% increase this week, selling 72K copies, for a total of 991K–it’s very close to platinum. It climbed, mostly, on the Billboard Charts: Hot 100, from 22-21, Hot 100 Airplay, from 12-15, Pop 100 – 17-16, Pop 100 Airplay – fell 18-16, Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks – climbed 12-11, Mainstream Top 40 – fell 15-18, Hot Adult Top 40, climbed 18-17, Hot Digital Tracks, 18-13, Hot Digital Songs, 19-14.
- Three additional songs from David Archuleta charted on digital songs this week (though not high enough to make the Billboard Hot Digital Songs Chart) “A Little To Not Over You” at #79, “Touch My Hand” at # 134 and “Angels” at #185. The highest charting of the four, “A Little To Not Over You”, entered the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles Chart at #14. “Bubbling Under” charts songs that are on the verge of entering the Hot 100. No wonder Jive switched the next single from “Touch My Hand” to “A Little To Not Over You”. The people have spoken!
- David Cook hit a milestone this week. “Time of My Life”, the little coronation that could, has sold platinum! It had a 14% increase this week, selling 11K, putting TOML at the 1M mark. Magic rainbows for everyone! “Time of My Life” remains at #1 on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart.
- David Cook’s other song, his current single, “Light On” had a 17% increase, selling 21K for a total of 247K. Well, It’s mostly moving up the charts this week, Hot 100 – 89-82, Pop 100 55-52, Pop 100 Airplay – 51-51, Mainstream Top 40 – 40-34, Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks – 20-18, Hot Digital Tracks, falls 67-71. Time for a new single?
- Mandisa’s “It’s Christmas” enters the Top Christian Albums chart at #37, and climbs the Top Christian and Gospel Albums chart, 64-48.
- Jennifer Hudson’s “If This Isn’t Love” enters the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at #92. “Spotlight” remains at #1 on the Hot Adult R&B Airplay chart.
- Kellie Pickler co-wrote “The Best Days of Your Life” with country IT girl, Taylor Swift. It enters the Hot Country Songs chart at #56.
- Bucky Covington’s “I’ll Walk” climbs 11-10 on the Hot Country Songs chart, giving Bucky a Top 10 country hit.
- Carrie Underwood’s “Just a Dream” got a lift from her sensational performance at the CMA’s last week: Hot 100 – 43-29, Hot 100 Airplay, 32-34, Hot Country Songs, 4-7 (guess it’s peaked on the country radio…), It re-enters the Hot Digital Tracks chart at #29, and climbs from 61-30 on the Hot Digital Songs chart. It had a whopping 100% sales increase, selling 39K for a total of 385K.