Spoilers for “The Spanish Teacher” guest starring Ricky Martin. Episode 12 is set to air February 7. Directed by Paris Barclay, Written by Ian Brennan.
As always, I’ll be constantly updating this post with the newest deets.
Sadly, Darren Criss’s Broadway run in “How To Succeed in Business without Really Trying” prevented him from filming this episode.
Official FOX Episode Description
In an attempt to become a better Spanish teacher and to earn himself tenure at McKinley, Will begins taking night school classes. He is inspired by his teacher, David Martinez, to gain a better understanding of the Spanish language through the music of the Latin culture. After assigning the Gleeks a Spanish singing assignment for the week, Will gets mixed results when he invites the musically-inclined David to share his infectious enthusiasm with the kids of New Directions. After learning of Finn and Rachel’s secret engagement, Kurt does his best to convince the pair to forestall their plans. Meanwhile, Mercedes seeks Emma’s advice when she finds herself torn between her loyalty to Shane and her resurfacing feelings for Sam, and Sue gets an unwanted lesson in coaching from Roz Washington.
Will assigns the glee club a Spanish singing assignment, and enlists the help of his musically-inclined night school teacher (guest star Martin). Meanwhile, Rachel spills the beans to Kurt and Mercedes on Finn’s marriage proposal, and Mercedes has love complications of her own in the all-new “The Spanish Teacher” episode of GLEE airing Tuesday, Feb. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-312) (TV-14 D, L) Futon Critic
- Will and Sue vs. Figgins: With an open tenure position at McKinley, the two battle it out for to impress Principal Figgins for the spot. The winner? It isn’t who you’d expect.
- Emma could wind up being the one to support her husband.
- Principal Figgins warns him that he won’t get the open tenure spot unless his Spanish skills get bueno…rapido!
- Will starts taking Spanish classes at night with Dave Martinez (Ricky Martin).
- Will translates Presley’s “A Little Less Conversation” in full conquistador gear, complete with backing from a mariachi band and Mike and Brittany serving as the bulls. Not everyone is a fan of the performance.
- Sue uses a confrontation with Will to hit him up for a sperm donation, taking advantage of one specific physical attribute that up until this point has been the butt of endless jokes.
- Sue turns to the New Directions guys (!) and Mr. Schue for sperm donations. Naturally, Emma responds to Sue going after her fiancé’s genetic material with…a pamphlet.
- Sue Sylvester, mother? Is it physically possible for her to conceive? Let’s just say that Sue took measures to ensure that it is — more than 30 years ago and ahead of the technology that was readily available. Skeptics include Will, Emma, Santana and Roz, who comically suggests that Sue will give birth to full-grown adult grandchild, complete with a cell phone and briefcase.
- When Emma gets wind, she confronts Sue with a pamphlet labeled, “Please don’t hog my fiance’s nog.” The confrontation reveals a softer side of Sue that can’t help melt your heart just a tad. Sue is saying the most sincere sweet things about one of her enemies
- Sue isn’t the only award-winning coach at McKinley and Roz wants to — and briefly does — take over the Cheerios. Under Roz’s direction, even Becky’s a fan — and the Cheerios co-captain’s treachery doesn’t end there.
- Santana has her own crack at Sue, asking whose vagina she’ll use to birth her baby.
- Sam’s professing his love for Mercedes via Twitter, and won’t stop until a very romantic tweet about Mercedes is trending. Cute!
- Sam and Mercedes go to non-couples counseling with Emma about their kiss. Her solution? Communication cut-off for a full week. But does communication count when it’s in the form of a musical performance?
- The Gypsy Kings’ “Bamboleo”/Enrique Iglesias’ “Hero” as performed by the guys of New Directions, features some of the most fitting fashion the show has featured thus far. Three words: Mexican Hipster Boots. Sam definitely directs the latter song’s lyrics to Mercedes
- Mercedes doesn’t choose Sam. She goes off with her current football boyfriend but it’s clear she still has feelings for Sam.
- It’s movie night at Rachel’s as she confides (via Twilight!) in Mercedes and Kurt about her engagement to Finn. Kurt’s initial reaction doesn’t last long as he quickly comes to understand just why Rachel said yes.
- Rachel shares her engagement secret with Kurt and Mercedes, and there’s a little Blaine-Kurt reference moment that makes it clear Kurt isn’t ready for a step like Rachel and Finn are taking.
- Rachel’s reveal leads to a wonderful heart-to-heart between Kurt and Finn about college, marriage and the future, where Kurt’s belief in Finn’s star quality provides a fitting wake-up call for his multitalented brother that leaves the jock thinking.
- Kurt tells Finn he can’t give up on being more than the guy who holds Rachel’s purse on the red carpet.
- Kurt breaks a promise to Rachel in bringing up the subject.
- Sue gives Will his due in a scene with Emma that not only explains her anger but also why she wants him to be a sperm donor.
- Emma is trying to help Will and…wow. Will is being a serious d-bag. “You’re being really mean,” she tells him. Understatement. Being mean to Emma Pillsbury is like bitch-slapping sunshine.
- Santana vs. Will: Santana calls Will out on his Spanish teaching skills and the racial stereotypes he’s perpetuating while at the same time complimenting his abilities as the glee coach.
- The confrontation leads to a big reveal for Will, who begins to ponder his position. Is there a future for Señor Martinez at McKinley? Let’s just say that Will takes Santana’s message to heart and the tenure winner isn’t who’d you’d expect it to be.
- In a double shocker, we find that two unlikely sources tattled on Will (for poor teaching skills) and Sue (for poor coaching performance). Will is shocked by the news, while we discover Sue had already snuck into Figgins’ filing cabinet to uncover the identity of her accuser.
- Will totally redeems himself in the last scene. Huzzah!
- The episode ends with a shocker about [SPOILER] and the future of McKinley High.
UPDATE: Sue Sylvester is looking for a sperm donor. She Turns to Will and the Glee Boys – Sue wants to use a sperm donor to have a baby. She tries recruiting the Glee boys as donors, except for Artie and Kurt. She also tries recruiting Will at one point. My source thought she also tries recruiting Ricky Martin’s character for that but wasn’t 100% positive. eta: I should add that I’m not totally sure if Sue encourages some of the Glee boys to be sperm donors for her specifically, or just to be donors in general. The way it was described to me, it sounds like it’s just one scene. Her interest in Will as a donor is for her specifically though. – IWishYouWould
Hot Spanish teacher (Ricky Martin) will figure into the Sue sperm donor story line. (EOnline)
Matthew Morrison: “”My Spanish teaching skills have come into question, so I take night school and Ricky Martin’s teaching me Spanish. He inspires me to do a Latin Week on Glee,” Morrison says. “The kids end up loving him as a teacher so I have to have an Español-off to regain my Spanish teacher pride. Will is successful,” Morrison reveals before backtracking slightly and giving Martin his due. “Ricky Martin is very successful as well, so we both win.” (Via The Hollywood Reporter)
Newbie Damian McGinty, who won “The Glee Project” last summer, almost gave away a key plot point of Martin’s episode, but stopped himself before spilling the beans. “All the guys sing — [pauses] — I was going to give it away! Wow. All the guys are singing a Spanish song.” (Via Zap2it)
According to tweets from TV Guide, Kurt (Chris Colfer) will have a crush on the Spanish teacher (Ricky Martin) whose name is David Martinez. Also, Mercedes (Amber Riley) will sing a song in Spanish. Kevin McHale teases a song. It’s “A mystery song about being sexy and being aware of it.”(Source Source Source)
NeNe Leakes will reprise her role as Roz Washington in the episode. The cast tweeted photos with her on set (See tweets below)
Coach Roz Washington calls Sue’s Routine “1950’s” and replaces her (temporarily). Sue compares Roz’s new routines to something even xTube (a porn site) would shut down.
45% of the episode The Spanish Teacher is IN SPANISH not just songs but dialogue….of that 45% 10% has NO subtitles….
Guest characters Steph, Bill & Chili: Steph is an ordinary mom who is a student at night school. The role is described as funny. Also, Bill & Chili are night students, both roles described as needing comedy actors…
Song Spoilers – All songs sung in Spanish and English.
“Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO – Ricky Martin and New Directions
“Don’t Wanna Lose You” by Gloria Estefan – Mercedes
“Bamboleo” by Gypsy Kings/“Hero” by Enrique Iglesias – Sam and the boys (Sam sings to Mercedes)
A Little Less Coversation by Elvis Presley – Will
La Isla Bonita by Madonna – Ricky Martin and Santana
Sneak Peek featuring Ricky Martin
- Naya Rivera tweets, “Today is going to be so fun! Ricky Martin is at WMHS!!! #Lavidaloca” (1/5)
- Alex Anders tweets, “Well, I guess it wasn’t much of a secret that it was @ricky_martin who was in the studio yesterday. Fun times!” (1/5)
- Lea Michele tweets, “Back at work! Starting our next episode with my old friend Ricky Martin!” (1/5)
- Lea Michele tweets, “I’ve known Ricky since I’m 8 years old! He was in Les Mis on Broadway with me in 1996! Crazy huh?!” (1/5)
- Chord Overstreet tweets, “Shooting a scene with @MsAmberPRiley. Gonna be so much fun!!”
- Cory Monteith tweets, “we have a new Spanish teacher http://t.co/M7nrXk6S” (1/5)
- Lea Michele tweets, “So much fun on set with Ricky! http://t.co/n5BY7OEW” (1/5)
- Lea Michele tweets, “He’s seriously the sweetest and such a great fit for our show! http://t.co/8LXTwYnz” (1/5)
- Vanessa Lengies tweets, “The star of the first concert Kevin and I ever went to… In different cities though. http://t.co/roD5T0iW” (1/5)
- Kevin McHale tweets, “Yes, It’s true. It’s really @ricky_martin!! We gots a new Spanish teacher!! http://t.co/mAzv0JHt” (1/5)
- Matt Morrison tweets, “Ricky Martin’s first day on set today! What a great guy, having a lot of fun shooting our scenes together. http://t.co/ZuysYXfD” (1/5)
- Mark Salling tweets, “Mi nuevo hombre @ricky_martin http://t.co/MdLHeHhZ“
- Amber Riley tweets, “Fun day at work! Scene with Mr. Ricky Martin tomorrow. I’m so excited. goodnight everyone #LoveAndLight” (1/5)
- Lea Michele tweets, “Back at work now.. Getting ready for another day with
- Naya Rivera tweets, “Day two of working with the coolest Spanish teacher in the world! And I get to do a number with him!” (1/6)
- Naya Rivera tweets, “Can’t believe I’m performing a number with
@ricky_martin right now! So much fun!” (1/6)
- Chord Overstreet tweets, “Guess who was wearing heels to class??? http://instagr.am/p/e8via/” (1/6)
- Chord Overstreet tweets, “Can’t believe I get to watch this song number with Ricky Martin.
- Kevin McHale tweets, “Still so surreal that we get to have
@ricky_martin at McKinley & get to watch him perform. #legend” (1/6)
- Naya Rivera tweets, “Early morning on Glee. First up, Spanish class… Just heard
@druidDUDE practicing his español in the makeup trailer. (Jan 10)
- Kevin McHale tweets, “Just another day at work….aye aye aye! http://instagr.am/p/gAyT7/ (1/10)
- Iqbal Theba tweets, “First day on the set of GLEE for the yr 2012! Met someone fabulous
@NeNeLeakes” Met our newest guest star @neneleakes on the set and she is Wonderful! http://twitpic.com/85uha0 (1/10)
- Lea Michele tweets, “Back at work! Rachel’s bedroom scene w/
@chriscolfer & @MsAmberPRiley. I have no problem getting up for work and putting back on pjs! haha (1/11)
- Lea Michele tweets, “I’ve never been so comfy at work before!! This is so much fun!!!” (1/11)
- Amber Riley tweets, “Awesome way to start the day, we didn’t want the scene to end! We were so comfy in our pajamas in bed lol” (1/11)