There are lots of medal winning Olympians among the ten athletes competing in the upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars: Athletes. The spring DWTS is a short one–only four weeks. The season was clipped to make room for ABC’s version of American Idol.
DWTS:Athletes is set to premiere Monday April 30, at which point, American Idol will cut back to Sundays only, until the May 21 finale. The special athletes cycle of DWTS will bow out with a one hour finale beginning at 8 pm, while American Idol will crown its winner at 9 pm.
Franky will be returning to live blog the jam-packed four week season. Do join us.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a pretty big get, and at age 70 easily the oldest of all the competitors. I have mixed feelings about including Tonya Harding. She was banned from figure skating after her thug husband carried out an attack on her competitor Nancy Kerrigan (who competed on DWTS only last spring). However, DWTS producers LOVE controversy (unless you are Johnny Manziel).
What do you think of the new cast? Dancing with the Stars:Athletes premieres at 8 pm ET on ABC.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (NBA legend) and Lindsay Arnold
- Johnny Damon (World series winning baseball vet) and Emma Slater
- Josh Norman (NFL Cornerback) and Sharna Burgess
- Mirai Nagasu (Medal winning figure skater) and Alan Bersten
- Tonya Harding (Disgraced figure skater) and Sasha Farber
- Jamie Anderson (Medal winning snowboarder) and Artem Chigvintsev
- Chris Mazder (Medal winning luger) and Witney Carson
- Jennie Finch Daigle (Medal winning softball player) (Nand Keo Motsepe
- Adam Rippon (Medal winning figure skater) and Jenna Johnson
- Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame basketball player) and Gleb Savchenko
GMA Dancing with the Stars: Athletes Reveal