- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Big Brother
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- Project Runway
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- X Factor Australia
- Adam Lambert
- Angie Miller
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Candice Glover
- Carly Rose Sonenclar
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Cassadee Pope
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danielle Bradbery
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Fifth Harmony
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kree Harrison
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 13 Recaps
As many of you predicted, Adam Lambert and RCA Records are parting ways over creative differences. This comes in the wake of rumors that the label wanted him to release an album of 80′s covers.
Here’s a letter sent to Shirley Halperin of The Hollywood Reporter who initially reported on the 80′s cover album rumor, which turned out to be absolutely true, as Adam confirms in the letter.
Apparently, Adam has seen the reaction from his fans to the rumors. Many of you were not happy! Duly noted by Adam. But, as it turns out y’all were on the same page.
Thank you for your continued interest in, and support of, my musical career. After reading your article on July 8th, and seeing the very impassioned responses, I thought it would be good to write and let you know what is actually happening with my next album.
I’ve had an amazing few years working with the team at RCA; I admire all of them a great deal, and truly appreciate the energy & enthusiasm that went into making both “Trespassing” & “For Your Entertainment” successes.
That said, at this point, we are indeed having the oft-cited “creative differences” as to what my next project will be. Your article was correct, the label is “pushing for an (80′s) covers album,” and feels that this is the only kind of release they are prepared to support. While there are lots of great songs from that decade, my heart is simply not in doing a covers album.
Over the past four years, I have been truly fortunate to work with an amazing roster of producers, writers and engineers. Thanks to them, I have grown as both a songwriter and a vocalist. Artistically & professionally, I think it is essential that I continue with this evolution. I am already deep into writing new material with some very talented colleagues for a brand new album, and I can’t tell you how excited I am to share this new sound & direction. This music is where my heart is, and I believe that is what my fans want to hear. So after careful consideration, I have made the decision to respectfully part ways with RCA. My passion for the music & respect for the fans will always come first. I am excited to find a new label team who shares this vision.
Glee creator, Ryan Murphy announced via twitter earlier this week that Adam would be joining the cast of Glee. I know many of the cast members there have options to record with Columbia, so you never know what’s going to happen down the road.
Personally, I don’t blame him for rejecting the cover album idea. It would instantly render his music career irrelevant.
By the way…we totally got namechecked in the article. Your opinions are being heard!
ETA: Also, agree this whole deal–from Shirley dropping the “gossip” earlier this week, to the Glee announcement, and now the letter to Shirley revealing the split with RCA–it appears to be well orchestrated by Adam’s people. Whoever is in charge of Adam’s PR deserves a major raise.
UPDATE: Shirley Halperin responds to my ETA above:
There was no orchestration, MJ. I had the tip, asked Adam directly at the Live Proud event, he wouldn’t comment. Same with his rep and the label. Feeling confident in my sources, I printed the story, the reaction came flooding in and it precipitated a decision of whether to move forward with a third album, or not. Both sides would have to agree on a creative direction in order to move ahead with the recording contract. That’s the god’s honest truth. Just good, old-fashioned journalism.
Tagged with: Adam Lambert
- Powered by Disqus
- Cassadee Pope’s “Wasting All These Tears” Certified Platinum
- Thursday Ratings: American Idol Hits Another Series Low
- The Bachelor, Juan Pablo Galavis Laughs at an R Word Joke, Calls Detractors “Uncultured”
- Idol Headlines for 3/7/14
- Billboard – Chart Date 03/15/2014
- American Idol Top 11 to Sing Songs of the Cinema, Harry Connick Jr to Perform on Results
- Phillip Phillips Debuts Single “Raging Fire” on American Idol (VIDEO) (NEW PHOTOS!)
- American Idol XIII Top 12 Results – Live Blog – VIDEOS – PHOTOS
- American Idol XIII – Top 12 – Poll Results and Predictions
- Glee Spoilers – 100th Episode Photos Feat Old Favs, Chace Crawford, Finn Memorial
- Wednesday Ratings: American Idol and Survivor Stay Even
- Idol Headlines for 3/6/14
- Kris Allen to Debut New Music at SXSW
- Adam Lambert to Front Queen North American Summer Tour (VIDEO) (UPDATED WITH TOUR DATES and PHOTOS)
- Survivor Cagayan: Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty – Episode 2 – Recap and Discussion
- Idols In Concert – Stats – 03/06/14
- X Factor UK Winner Sam Bailey Pregnant With Her Third Child
- ‘Nashville’ Season 2, Episode 16 – Recap & Discussion Post (VIDEO)!
- American Idol XIII Top 12 – Take the Polls! Photo Gallery (UPDATED WITH ELIMINATION POLL)
- American Idol XIII Top 12 Live Blog and Videos
- American Idol XIII – Top 12 Song Spoilers
- Demi Lovato Shaved Her Head (PHOTO)
- Nigel Lythgoe’s “The Spotlight” Tapes in Las Vegas
- Idol Chat with M&M – Top 12 Comparative Power Rankings
- Tuesday Ratings: The Voice Rises, Glee Falls