Check out this very informative interview that Rodney Ho of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did with Michael Johns. Some interesting tidbits from their conversation follows.
- 19E agreed to release Michael from the 6 month contract clause all Top12 Idols are under. Says Michael, “They were amazing to me…They said, ‹Look- we realize youre 29 years old. Good luck. I was so thankful. Ive been able to work and get things done instead of wait around. I wonder if his early release came once Michael assured them he would not be signing with a major label? ETA: I believe the 6 month clause the Top 12 is under keeps them from releasing music during that time. In the past, the Idols were either signed, or released from their contracts at the end of 3 months. Chris Sligh blogs about that release date here.
- So far, he’s recorded 8 songs–two by Diane Warren. Most of them done before the tour started. He hopes to finish 25 songs by Thanksgiving and pick 12 for an album he’s like to release in January or February.
More After the Jump…
- He doesn’t have a producer yet, but he’s delighted that producers are returning his calls! He plans to write the album first, and then choose a producer to “stylize” the album.
- He knows he’s good with the bluesy-soul vibe and he plans to stick with that sound. Good call Michael!
- He expects the album to contain all new songs.
- About getting his songs on the radio “…Ill get an aggressive street team and radio commercial team. There are businesses who do that. Good luck with that Michael. Radio play without label support is a tough nut to crack.
- About eventually working with BFF David Cook, “I cant see how we wouldnt work together. Were such great friends. Even though were a bit different stylistically, I used to do that kind of sound back in Atlanta. We really have a good connection. We keep each other sane. Working together – it something we talk about all the time.”
- He confirmed to Rodney that management asked him (and David) to stop doing the Mavid dance during “Please Don’t Stop the Music”. He says, “…everyone has been spazzing out about it. The fans love it. We were told to reel it in. But the fans wanted it back. They were up in arms!”
- Speaking of Mavid, Kristen, we need a new video! Heh. Rodney has her latest posted on his site.
- Upcoming appearance: He’ll be singing the National Anthem October 26 at the Pep Boys Auto 500 and also perform 3 songs. Buy tickets here.