In any other Idol season, Hollywood week would have come and gone by now.
Last year, we already knew who made the Top 36 and were happily hunting down info on the newbies. This year, Hollywood Week doesn’t take place until January, leaving us Idol fans a little starved for meaningful spoilers.
The latest fun excercise has been to play spot-the-contestant in the latest Season 9 Idol commercials currently running on FOX.
The promo above is the first to feature new judge Ellen Degeneres, who joins the panel in Hollywood next month. Word is, Ellen Simon is the reason Hollywood Week is so late this year, but TPTB have got to love screwing over those of us who love spoilers…
correction: According to the LA Times, the Hollywood Week delay was caused by Simon.
Idol Forums has identified a few contestants from past seasons who once again made the cut to Hollywood. Who knows, maybe Season 9 could be their lucky season. (Ask Idol returnees Gina Glocksen and Chikezie about that!): via Vote For the Worst.
- Jessica Furney – the nice girl with glasses who seemed too talented/boring to be on the show.
- Angela “A’Wun” Martin – the girl from Chicago with the special needs daughter.
- Frankie Jordan – the Amy Winehouse-esque chick from LA.
- Margo May, David Gowryluck, JB Ahfua, and Katie Bernard – auditioners that we didn’t really see last year.
- Daniel Murillo and Lilly Scott – Two others who supposedly made it (but weren’t from last year)
ETA: Producers have hinted in a few interviews that the Idol format could revert back to the Top 24, ending the experiment with the pre-Season 4 Top 36 format. No official word on that yet. The new season of American Idol begins on January 12.
More Idol commercials after the JUMP…
Commercial 5 (Ran last night during SYTYCD)