UPDATE: I’m moving this thread up for posters who want to discuss the iTunes downloads.
The American Idol 10 Top 12 performances are available NOW as individual downloads OR as in a $7.99 compilation album.
Well, well well. I didn’t really care for this week’s tracks, but I’m glad I downloaded them because this week’s download proceeds will go to the Red Cross for Japan relief. That’s a good thing.
Click the LINKS to download from iTunes:
- Naima Adedapo – “What’s Love Got to Do With It” – This is completely different than the live version. While Naima’s rendition seemed karaoke on the Idol stage, here she sounds fresh and original. What happened?
- Paul McDonald – “I Guess That’s Why They Call it the Blues” – Paul sounds like he inhaled a tank full of helium before he took to the mike. He doesn’t sound like ass on his pre-Idol recordings, so what’s going wrong here? The clackety clack backing track and the cheesy backing vocals do not help.
- Thia Megia – “Colors of the Wind” – Thia’s voice is pretty. But this song is treacly sap. “Can you paint with all the colors of the wind..” Ugh.
- James Durbin – “I’ll Be There For You” – James’ is the best recording so far. He’s got a great recording voice. I’m not loving the smoothed over production here but James definitely has potential. If he can act, James could take Constantine’s role e in Rock of Ages. He’d be more age appropriate, at least.
- Haley Reinhart – “I’m Your Baby Tonight” – I’m probably in the minority–but I kinda liked Haley’s live version. She’s not half-bad here either. The trouble is, she does suffer from an identity crisis. If she could find a niche and follow it passionately, she could be great. I’d love to hear her do rock.
- Stefano Langone – “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” – Another contestant with a great soulful recording voice. He’s capable of going the Bruno Mars route…so he’s marketable too. Good song pick for Stefano. Too bad the production is so tinny–it robs the intensity from Stefano’s vocals.
- Pia Toscano – “Where Do Broken Hearts Go” – Pia’s answer to the judges’ request not to do a ballad was to sing a ballad faster…with a dance track. Pia’s got the goods. Too bad her song choices leave her sounding generic and dull.
- Scotty McCreery – “Can I Trust You With My Heart” – Scotty is soooo getting signed after this is all over. Whether he wins or not. This ain’t my thang, but as far as I can tell, he’s the real country deal.
- Karen Rodriguez – “Love Will Lead You Back” – Generic. Karaoke. There’s nothing special about the arrangement– sounds like it was lifted from some leftover 80s track. Forgettable.
- Casey Abrams – “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – I could semi-handle Casey’s scremo version of “Teen Spirit” live on Idol, but produced as an Idol track? It makes me cringe. The production really cheeses it up–“Teen Spirit” as a K-tel track. I wish Casey had radically changed the arrangement–sang it as a ballad (like Tori) or jazzed it up. This just sounds imitative.
- Lauren Alaina – “I’m The Only One” – This is actually one of the better tracks on the compilation. It would have been even better with more twang. Lauren’s got solid country vocals and records well.
- Jacob Lusk – “Alone” – Horrible song choice for Jacob. Again with the clackety-clack backing track. His vocal is modulated here, so over singing isn’t a problem. But what is it? I’m not buying it. There’s a lack of urgency, authenticity here. Dude is not a rock singer. It may be that simple.
- Download the Compilation – If you’d like ALL the recordings from tonight’s show, download the compilation for only $7.99.
Latest posts by mj santilli (see all)
- Concert Schedule for 1/27/15 - 01/27/2015
- So You Think You Can Dance 12 – New Judges Panel First Look (PHOTO) - 01/27/2015
- The Bachelor Ratings Win Against Super Bowl Commercials - 01/27/2015