All of that time and expense to pack up the kids and take them to Vegas, and we only got an hour and brief snippets of performances? I’m thinking that when Nigel and company sat down with the footage they realized it wasn’t that good.
Or, they felt they could do a better job of making sure we’re properly introduced to the Top 24 by spending 3 hours on the cuts. In the past, the Green Mile show has been an hour long and it was plenty of time to produce a taught, drama filled show. I don’t think I can sit through two more hours of contestants marching up that space-age runway (not sure I’m digging the new, uber-modern set) to learn their fate. It’s going to be a long two hours tomorrow night.
As far as the singing we got to hear–I’m still feeling very optimistic about the coming season. I think we’ve barely scratched the surface with some of these kids. I’m really looking forward to the weeks ahead. How about you?
Tonight’s American Idol episode expands to 2 hours beginning at 8/7c pm on FOX. In the first hour, the remaining contestants (Check out the Top 61 HERE) tackle Beatle songs on the Cirque Du Soleil LOVE stage.
- Unconfirmed Top 40 list HERE.
In the second hour, the judges begin to winnow down the Top 40 to the Top 24. According to Joe’s Place, there was a “Sing For Your Life” round. The kids sang one last time before the judges made their final selections.
After the jump, my LIVE recap, videos and PHOTOS.
Photos, Recap, Videos after the JUMP…
The hopefuls must learn and perform a Beatles song in just 24 hours. In the second hour. THE FINAL JUDGMENT. Tears! Crying DRAMZ!!!!
Sixty-one remain. Their biggest challange is on the horizon! The bus is bound for Vegas, baby. The group divided up into duos and trios. 1/3 of them will be cut when the round concludes. At 10 am, the contestants are rehearsing, rehearsing, rehearsing.
Lauren Alaina is crying at her rehearsal. Everyone is becoming OVERWHELMED. This vocal coach, Peggy Blu is a BEYOTCH. Thia Megia BITCHFACE.
Enter Interscope’s Jimmy Iovine and his team of producers. He tells Lauren’s group that “If I Fell” is the wrong song.
“This is freaking out because Beatle land is where I exist” says Steven.
Jim Durbin and Stefano Langone – “Get Back” – Jim Durbin’s wallet chain bandanna and head scarves look ridic. Steven says he’s never heard such high voices together. Randy tells Stefano he started off slow but got it together. – VIDEO
Pia Toscano and Karen Rodriquez. “Can’t Buy Me Love” – They were buds in a NYC performing arts high school. Interesting. Karen miffed the words. “I feel like you guys get it, ” says Jennifer. “It built so well…then you took off and jumped the fences, ” says Steven. Both are pros. Good stuff – VIDEO
Naima Adedapo, Jacob Lusk, Haley Reinhart – “The Long and Winding Road” – Jimmy tells them not to OVERSING. Advice? Not taken. “Very very nice!” says Jennifer. Really good job. “That was stupendous, so over the top, ” says Steven. Randy undoes Jimmy’s advice, “Never hold back, ” says Randy. Uh, maybe you should. – VIDEO
Rachel Zevita – “Eleanor Rigby” – I think I’m going to love me some quirky Rachel. Loved the widows veil she wore to great effect. VIDEO
Lauren Turner – “Let it Be” – Lauren is one of the unseen. She’s got potential. VIDEO
Tim Halperin and Julie Zorrilla – “Something” – Lovely rendition. The ladies are going to like Tim. VIDEO
Jerome Bell – Lakeisha Lewis – Tatynisa Lewis “I Saw Her Standing There” – This is pretty awesome. Very soulful. Randy wasn’t crazy about Jerome. Jlo thinks Lakeisha is holding back and that Tatynisa lacks vocal control. Steven, on the other hand, thinks Tat nailed it. – VIDEO
Kendra Chantelle and Paul McDonald – “Blackbird” – Good thing Simon and his fear of birds are gone. Paul has an interesting vibe. Unusual vocals. Kendra is also very good Very nice. “The power of a soft beautiful tone, it cuts right through, ” says Jennifer about Paul. “This was beautiful, really well done, ” says Steven. “I loved your choices in the harmonies, ” says Randy. – VIDEO
A quick montage of groups sing “Help”, “Ticket to Ride”, “Help from my Friends” – VIDEO
Ashley Sullivan and her boyfriend get MARRIED. Oy. Was that the producers idea? Crazy.
Melinda Ademi and Thia Megia – “Here Comes the Sun” – It’s the PAGEANT BOT VERSION of this George Harrison classic. “You found a way to keep the phrasing intact.” “It was cute, but it wasn’t as strong as I thought it would be” “Melinda, you were behind on the phrasing, ” says Steven. – VIDEO
Ashley Sullivan and Sophia Shorai “We Can Work It Out” – “It wasn’t your best performance, ” says Steven. “None of it quite worked for me, ” says Randy. – VIDEO
Lauren Alaina, Denise Jackson and Scotty McCreery – “”Hello Goodbye” – Scotty sounds ridiculous. His voice sounds creepy singing anything other than those deep-voiced country tunes. “The song didn’t fit you guys. It was like the Marx brothers put out a fire thing, ” says Steven. LOL. Randy called it “Funny.” That’s one word I’d use. – VIDEO
Carson Higgins and Caleb Hawley – “Please Please Me” – Carson isn’t as good as he thinks he is. This is an unfortunate pairing for poor Caleb who has been good in the past. – VIDEO
Casey Abrams and Chris Medina – “Hard Days Night”. Steven calls them “Freaks.” I call them “Suck”. – VIDEO
Robbie Rosen, Aaron Sanders, Jordan Dorsey – “Got to Get You Into My Life” – “I was really impressed right there, ” says Randy. “Aaron you always surprise me when you come out. Jordan we have high expectations of you, ” says Jennifer. “Robbie, you nailed it again, ” says Steven. – VIDEO
Time for cuts!
Thia Magia, Scotty McCreery, Jordan Dorsey, Ashton Jones, Robbie Rosen, Lauren Alaina and James Durbin are through to the Top 40.
Molly DeWolf, Carson Higgins, Caleb Hawley, Denise Jackson, Melinda Ademi, Ashley Sullivan are heading home.
Credits again! IT’S A SEPARATE SHOW Y’ALL
The Green Mile has gone space age!
Here we go.
- Naima Adedapo‘s final performance was “Put Your Records On” She cries as she faces the judges. She’s questioning herself. “I’m sorry that I have to say that…you’ve made it through, ” says Steven. She’s IN. Naimi told Jennifer that she wanted to be a fly girl when she was little. – VIDEO
- Hollie Cavenagh – Final performance is “No One”. Jennifer says she was a standout in Hollywood week. Hollie is very thankful. “Unfortunately, we’re not going to put you through this time.” Jennifer says she was OUTVOTED. “You’re 17 years old. You could come back and win the whole thing.” Hollie begins to cry. “I don’t know if I can do this anymore, ” says Steven. – She’s OUT – VIDEO
- Lakeisha Lewis, Alex Ryan – OUT “You haven’t seen the last of me, ” says Lakeisha. Yeah, we probably have.
- Clint Jun Gamboa – His final performance was “Hello”. In Hollywood he was MEAN TO JACEE. Clint tries to explain away his asshattery in Hollywood. It’s not working. But, unfortunately – He’s IN. I can’t see him overcoming the villain edit. – VIDEO
- Haley Reinhart – Her final song was…whatever the hell that was. Quoting Doris Day. DEEP. This is her second try. She feels like she learned a lot. “We’re really afraid to say that…you’re a yes, ” says Steven. – She’s IN – VIDEO
- Deandre Brackensick – His final song was accompanied on ukulele – Randy says, “It’s about being great everytime you get up there. You came close but not close enough. It’s the end of your journey.” Jennifer thinks he’s got a great chance to be a recording artist. He’s OUT – VIDEO
- Paul McDonald – He wore a crazy outfit for his final song, an original called “American Dreams”. See Paul’s pre-Idol stuff HERE. “Is this guy material? It’s anyone unique.” The judges keep stressing his “quirkiness” – He’s IN – VIDEO
- Ashthon Jones – Her final song was “I Want to Dance with Somebody” – “You have been one of the most consistent contestants.” They worried if she could put up with the pressure. Jennifer tells her she made it. – She’s IN – VIDEO
- Chris Medina – His final song? “I Will Try to Fix You” – UGH. He would have continued to milk this shit all the way through the competition. And he’s not that great a singer. Jennifer says he started off strong. But he had some good and bad moments. “It breaks my heart to say this, but you did not make it into the Top 24. So glad… He’s OUT. Jennifer has a MELTDOWN. – VIDEO
Will Jennifer continue with the cuts? Or will Steven and Randy have to carry on without her. BITCH PLEASE. Bravo on that performance Jennifer. Lulz