Get ready for the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards tonight! Idols will be performing, attending and maybe accepting awards tonight…
Carrie Underwood was the only Idol Grammy winner today. By the time the prime time Grammy awards show began, all the Idol categories had been decided.
In this afternoon’s Pre-Grammy telecast, Carrie and Randy Travis won in the Best Country Collaboration With Vocals category for their duet “I Told You So”. Carrie and Randy had some stiff competition, including Dierks Bentley & Patty Griffin (“Beautiful World”), Kenny Chesney & Mac McAnally (“Down The Road”) Brad Paisley & Keith Urban (“Start A Band”).
Also in the Pre-Grammy telecast, Mandisa’s Freedom was nominated for Best Contemporary Gospel album, but lost to The Power of One by Israel Houghton. In the Best Musical Show Album category, Ain’t Misbehavin’, featuring Ruben Studdard and Trenyce lost to West Side Story. In the Best Pop Vocal Album category, Kelly Clarkson’s All I Ever Wanted, lost to the Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D. And Carrie Underwood (“Just a Dream”) lost to Taylor Swift (“White Horse”) for Best Female Country Vocal Performance.
In tonight’s Grammy telecast, Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson are set to participate in a special tribute to Michael Jackson, with Smokey Robinson, Celine Dion and Usher. The quintet will perform “Earth Song” during the premiere of Michael Jackson’s mini-movie in 3D (Get your 3D glasses ready!)
Keep your eye out during the Grammy red carpet for Adam Lambert who is set to work as a correspondent for Entertainment Tonight. Matt Giraud and other Idols will be sitting in the Grammy audience.
Update: Added Video of Adam Lambert on the Red Carpet for Entertainment Tonight and a Vid of the Michael Jackson tribute featuring Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson. Adam calls Taylor Swift a “Glamazon” and he loves Carrie Underwood’s red carpet dress.
Videos and Live Blog after the JUMP!!!
- Lady Gaga opens the show looking very space-age in light blue sparkles and poofy sleeves! She’s insane, but in a good way. “Poker Face”, “Everyone is going goo goo for Gaga!” Gaga at the piano now with Elton John! Epic duet! Singing “Your Song” mashed up with Gaga’s “Speechless. “How wonderful life is with Gaga in the world”, “I love you Sir Elton John”.
- Stephen Colbert in the house! Hooray. Is he really doing a bit with his daughter who is sitting in the audience? “Have a good time honey, stay away from Katy Perry” “Who I’d love to see on stage…Adam Lambert and any sense of personal restraint.” “Your industry was saved by a 48 yr old cat lady in sensible shoes.” Peeps. You know, Colbert is a comedian. Comedian’s make jokes.
- And Song of the Year goes to “Single Ladies” by Beyonce. (Thaddis Harrell, Beyoncé Knowles, Terius Nash & Christopher Stewart, songwriters)
- Jennifer Lopez introduces the cast of the Broadway musical American Idiot and Green Day. Hm. Not sure I’m going to dig American Idiot with jazz hands.
- Best Country Album goes to Fearless by Taylor Swift. Surprise! Not.
- Simon Baker from “The Mentalist” introduces Beyonce. She makes her entrance through audience with an army (literally, dressed in armour and body helmets) of dancers. “If I Were a Boy”, She fake picks an extra in the audience, and then pushes him off stage. Interesting, she mashes in “You oughta Know” by Alanis Morissette. Interesting.
- Seal announces that Leonard Cohen has received a lifetime achievement award. After, he introduces Pink. Ooo, she looks so pretty draped in a white hoodie dress. She’s singing the lovely “Have You Ever” She drops the hoodie to reveal a flesh colored leotard with white cris crosses. She’s hoisted into the air by a shear white sling. Very ethereal. She’s dripping in water now, and still swinging around in the sling, til she’s slowly lowered down to the stage. That was gorgeous.
- Miranda Lambert and Keith Urban announce that Loretta Lynn received a country lifetime acheivement award, Walter C. Miller also received an award.
- Best New Artist goes to Zac Brown Band. (I was rooting for the Ting Tings or MGMT. Drat.)
- Miley Cyrus introduces the Black Eyed Peas. Beyonce stared the space age militaristic theme, BEP carries it forward with shiny leather and sparkly shoulder pads. “I’m a Be”–A bunch of sh*t just got bleeped. Now, “Ive Got a Feeling”. Dancers dressed as robot-stereo speakers. the Peas march out into the audience “Let’s do it…let’s do it.” Not gonna lie. I like this song *ducks*. “Welcome to the Future!” Although, don’t they do the same routine on every awards show?
- The Jonas Brothers introduce Lady Antebellum performing “Need You Now”. After all the theatrics, it’s weird watching a band perform with no bells or whistles.
- Latin artist, Juanez and some chick from The Big Bang Theory present Best Comedy Album and it goes to Stephen Clobert The Greatest Christmas of them All. Ha ha! I love Colbert.
- Nora Jones and Ringo Starr announce that Bobby Darrin has earned the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, After they introduce Record of the Year.
- Record of the Year goes to “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon. Hooray! The band “happy drunk”
- Robert Downey Jr. “Thank God I’m here,” he says. Ha Ha. He introduces….Opra! No, it’s really Jaime Foxx singing “Blame it on the Booze” Here comes T. Pain. Jaime is also dressed in some military sh*t. Is this a theme tonight? Jay Z leaves his cushy spot in the audience to join the fun. Slash plays a guitar solo. And all hell breaks loose.
- Kesha and Justin Bieber. OMG it’s the fetus. He says “Beyonce” instead of “Bon Jovi” attempting to remind the audience of their upcoming performance…then we go to a commercial. What was the point of that? Kesha towers over Justin, and it’s a little skeery.
- Katy Perry and Adam Cooper announce that Florence Greenberg, of Scepta records won the academy Trustees Award.
- Best Rock Album goes to 21st Century Breakdown by Green Day
- Zac Brown Band with Leon Russell sitting in perform America the Beautiful which segues into a medley of songs including “Chicken Fried”.
- Ryan Seacrest introduces Taylor Swift, who sings “Today Was a Fairytale”. And she still can’t stay in tune. But that’s nothing new. She just introduced Stevie Nicks, and they’re dueting on “Rhianna”. Oy the bad notes, and it’s Taylor who can’t frickin stay in tune. And now she and Stevie sing “You Belong with Me”. Yikes this duo is a mismatch. That was unpleasant. Glad that’s over
- Lionel Richie introduces the Michael Jackson tribute, featuring Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Celine Dion, Usher and Smokey Robinson singing “The Earth Song” plus the debut of Micheal’s 3-D music video. I’m not wearing the funky 3-D glasses, so the video looks blurry and a little trippy. Michael’s recorded voice is first, then Celine joins in and Usher. Here comes Carrie. She looks beautiful in a gold gown. Celine, not so much in whatever the hell she’s wearing. Jennifer takes the stage to sing a verse, and then Smokey. OMG flying dolphins! Beyonce grooving in her 3d glasses. Go Carrie! She’s kinda rockin out! Jennifer is FIERCE. That turned out to be as odd as I thought it would, starting out with the strange assemblage of talent. Could that group have been more random?
- Lionel introduces Michael Jackson’s young children, Prince Jackson and Paris Jackson, who accept an award on his behalf. I have mixed feelings about trotting the kids out in front of millions. It still feels a little soon. Prince seems very intelligent and well spoken. He did well under the circumstances.
- This Metro PCS commercial with the Indians? Kinda racist, don’t you think?
- Sheryl Crow announces that Doug Morris won the President’s Merit Award to Industry Icons, then she introduces Bon Jovi. They sing “I Believe”, “Who Says You Can’t Go Home” with Jennifer Nettles. Gosh, I remember when I used to make fun of Bon Jovi back in the 80’s. Ya’ll can still vote on the song they’re going to sing next (nod to American Idol right there). And the winning song is….”Living on a Prayer”.
- Placido Domingo and Mos Def take the stage and attempt some really weak humor. Awkward! They announce the best Rap collaboration.
- And, the best Rap Collaboration goes to Jay Z, Rihanna and Kanye West for “Run this Town.” Aw, the cute little boy was Beyonce’s nephew.
- Wyclef Jean teaches the audience some Creole. He thanks America for their support on behalf of his homeland, Haiti. He introduces Mary J. Blige and Andre Bocelli with David Foster on piano singing “Bridge Over Troubled Water.” Bocelli sings in Italian. Needless to say, Mary J sings in English. You can download this song later from iTunes, with proceeds going to Haiti relief. Wow, that was really powerful,and I’m NOT a Bocelli fan.
- Recording Academy president, Neil Portnow to engage in some Grammy back-patting.
- Portnow introduces Adam Sandler who introduces The Dave Matthews Band sing “You & Me”, complete with a string and horn section plus choir. Dave now engaging in some jam-band wacky dancing. O I love hippies.
- Lea Michele and Ricky Martin introduce Best Female Vocal Performance.
- Best Female Vocal Performance goes to Beyonce for “Halo”. Beyonce was super-nervous accepting her award.
- Jay Z announces that bluesman, Honey Boy Edwards earned the lifetime achievement award. After, he introduces Maxwell performing “Pretty Wings”. Roberta Flack takes the stage and they duet on “Where is the Love”. So, I’m guessing Maxwell is super popular on those cool jazz radio stations.
- After the “peeps who croaked this year” montage, Jeff Bridges introduces a tribute to the legendary Les Paul. Jeff Beck and Imelda May perform “How High the Moon”. That was nice.
- Quentin Tarantino announces that Clark Terry gets a Lifetime Acheivement award. Why is Quentin talking like a brutha? He sounds ridiculous. He introduces Lil Wayne Eminem and Travis Barker from Blink 182 on drums. They rap “Forever”, and it’s a total bleep a rama! Drake joins the fun partway through. The bleepers were so busy bleeping, I think they missed an F Bomb. So, bleep half the song, and still miss a swear word. Good work!
- John Legend and Carlos Santana present Album of the Year.
- And, Album of the Year goes to Fearless by Taylor Swift. “Thank You Thank You Thank You!” Says Taylor. Where is Kanye West when you need him?
General Larry Platt on the Red Carpet
Michael Jackson Tribute featuring Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Celine Dion and Smokey Robinson
Adam Lambert on the Red Carpet for Entertainment Tonight
Adam Lambert with Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson
Latest posts by mj santilli (see all)
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale have Split - 08/04/2015
- Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock have Split - 08/03/2015
- Concert Schedule: American Idol Live in Providence - 08/03/2015