- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Big Brother
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- Project Runway
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- X Factor Australia
- Adam Lambert
- Angie Miller
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Candice Glover
- Carly Rose Sonenclar
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Cassadee Pope
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danielle Bradbery
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Fifth Harmony
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kree Harrison
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 13 Recaps
ETA: WOW. No wonder Kelly is pissed. The story Clive tells in his book is DRAMATICALLY different than Kelly’s version. For instance he denies ever rejecting the song “Because of You”–a story Kelly has told to the press on many occasions over the years. “I loved the song from first listen and felt that it delivered on the promise that Kelly could indeed write hits.” Clive wrote, “It is well known that we trumpeted it to everyone in [the record company] promotion [department].” Oh really Clive?
ABC News Radio has a point by point analysis of the differences between the two stories. Click to read it here. Also, The Hollywood Reporter has transcribed passages from the book that relate to Kelly.
So I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music. I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don’t have to cower to anyone – even Clive Davis.
First, he says I burst into “hysterical sobbing” in his office when he demanded Since You Been Gone be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn’t be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.
But, yes, I did cry in his office once. I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called “Because Of You.” I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a “sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me.” He continued on about how the song didn’t rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with.
But I continued to fight for the song and the label relented. And it became a worldwide hit. He didn’t include that in the book.
He also goes on to say My December wasn’t successful because I co-penned the album and it didn’t have “pop hits”. Well, first let me say, I’ve co-penned many of my “pop hits.” Secondly, My December went platinum (It sold 20,000 less than All I Ever Wanted which followed My December.) Hardly a huge failure. Never Again, the ONLY single they released in the US from that record was a Top 10 hit. I am very proud of that and I have my fans to thank. But, again, what’s most interesting about his story is what he leaves out: He doesn’t mention how he stood up in front of his company at a convention and belittled me and my music and completely sabotaged the entire project. It never had a chance to reach it’s full potential. My December was an album I needed to make for myself for many reasons and the fact that I was so completely disregarded and disrespected was so disheartening, there really aren’t words to explain….
Anyway, I love my job. I love my music. I love my fans. I love my label and all of my professional relationships… now. And I am grateful for Clive for teaching me to know the difference.
Cheers to another amazing year! And, as always, thanks for listening!
Kudos to Kelly for speaking truth to power. I never doubted that Clive, out of spite, did everything he could to spike My December, whether it was out of spite, or to just teach Kelly and her team a lesson. If Clive were a thoughtful guy, he’d be taking at least SOME responsibility for the failure of My December. But instead, he proceeded to belittle and attempted to humiliate Kelly all over again. It takes a lot of guts to stand up to a guy who is so revered (and feared) in the record industry. I really admire Kelly for standing up for herself.
Kelly survived that difficult experience and continues to THRIVE. That’s why she’s QUEEN KELLY y’all.
And as a side note: Clive’s account that Kelly did not want “Since U Been Gone” on her album? Does that EVEN pass the smell test?
GO KELLY GO KELLY #TEAMKELLY.
- Powered by Disqus
- Idol Headlines for 7/25/14
- Billboard – Chart Date 08/02/2014
- Concert Schedule – 7/25/14
- Big Brother 16 – Week 4 – Live Blog Eviction Results (VIDEO)
- Siobhan Magnus – “Wisdom” – Official Music VIDEO
- America’s Got Talent 9 Top 48 Revealed – Links to Video, Social Media
- SYTYCD Ratings Rise Against Wed Version of AGT
- Idol Headlines for 7/24/14
- Idols In Concert – Stats – 07/24/14
- Concert Schedule – 7/24/14 – Phillip Phillips, Bo Bice
- Grandfather of Ariana Grande Died – Frankie Learns of his Death, Will Stay in the Competition (DETAILS)
- SYTYCD11- Top 16 Perform, Two Go Home- Live Blog and Discussion
- Big Brother 16 Episode 13 – Recap and Discussion
- America’s Got Talent 9 – Judgement Week Part 2 – Live Blog and Top 48 Revealed!
- Janelle Arthur Set to Release Single “What You Asked For” (Cover Art)
- X Factor Alum Bea Miller Performs for Yahoo Music (VIDEO)
- The Voice 7: Alicia Keys Set as Adviser for Team Pharrell
- Constantine Maroulis Returns to Broadway’s Rock of Ages
- Idol Headlines for 7/23/14
- iHeartRadio Music Festival 2014 Lineup Announced
- Glee Star Naya Rivera Marries Ryan Dorsey (UPDATED)
- Idol Sales News – Week Ending 07/20/14
- SYTYCD11- Top 16 Power List (and Polls!)
- Concert Schedule – 7/23/14 – Daughtry, Cassadee Pope
- America’s Got Talent 9, Judgement Week Part 1 – Live Blog and Discussion