First, I know there is a rumor that the Bacharach/David theme has been nixed. An updated press release that FOX sent out early Friday morning edited out the reference to the theme (but not to the second, “Songs You Wish You Had Written).
However, the @Idolspoilers guy, Andy, who has been spoiling songs and themes all season, insists that the kids are still singing Bacharach/David. But even more telling– Candice Glover confirmed both themes on Saturday afternoon. I don’t think she would deliberately feed false info to her fans. If the theme was a secret, she’d say so and not answer the question.
Unfortunately, I do believe the kids are still stuck with the Bacharach/David catalog. But cheer up. The songs are old yes…but they are also fantastic–well constructed with gorgeous melodies. It could be worse. Now that we’ve cleared up any lingering questions—here are my suggestions for the Idols this week:
Burt Bacharach/Hal David
- Janelle Arthur – “Twenty-Four Hours to Tulsa” or “Only Love Can Break a Heart” – Both Originally recorded by Gene Pitney. See. The duo were so versatile, they wrote country songs.
- Kree Harrison – “Baby It’s You” This song was originally recorded by The Shirells, but has been covered a lot by artists including The Beatles, Adele and a bluesy-hardrock band called Smith. This is right in Kree’s wheelhouse.
- Amber Holcomb – “Promises Promises” from the Broadway musical – The song is upbeat, but will also give Amber an opportunity to show off her pipes. She’s a fan of Karen Carpenter, maybe she’ll pick “Close to You”
- Candice Glover – “I Say A Little Prayer” – Originally sung by Aretha Franklin. But I’m sure Candice could put her on spin on it. I’m sure
- Angie Miller – “Don’t Make Me Over” – Originally sung by Dionne Warwick. It would play into Angie’s dramatic side.
- Lazaro Arbos – “What’s New Pussycat” – For the LULZ of course!
Without getting a peek at the 10 songs the Idols get to choose from (SNARK) this theme is a little open ended. Maybe I’ll just choose songs I’d like the finalists to sing…
- Janelle Arthur – A Dolly Parton song…maybe “My Tennessee Mountain Home” or “Coat of Many Colors”
- Kree Harrison – Patsy Cline – Either “Crazy” or “I Fall to Pieces”. Kree has cited Patsy as an influence.
- Amber Holcomb – Welp. She’ll sing one of the Divas: Whitney or Celine probably. I don’t have the will to figure out a song for her.
- Candice Glover – “Tightrope” by Janelle Monae – I don’t even know where to begin. So many songs are possibilities. But I’m going to choose something super cool and modern for Candice.
- Angie Miller – She’s all about Jesse J., but how about a song by Katy Perry? “Firework,” perhaps.
- Lazaro Arbos – “Gangnam Style” or “Single Ladies” because I really want to see him do silly dances. It would distract from his singing and him forgetting the words. But, as somebody pointed out in comments, he’ll probably sing “Bridge Over Troubled Water” again…
Latest posts by mj santilli (see all)
- The Voice 9 Spoilers: The Battle Rounds (VIDEO) - 10/09/2015
- DWTS 21 Spoilers Week 5: Songs and Dance Styles - 10/09/2015
- Kimberly Caldwell and Jordan Harvey Welcome Baby Girl (PHOTOS) - 10/08/2015